DAILY - UPDATED
Kia GDI Engines: 1.6L, 2.0L Turbo, 3.3L, 3.8L And 5.0L
Kia has been long known to provide high-quality and reliable powertrain technology, including the highly-advanced engines and transmissions.
Developed as part of the automaker’s commitment to slashing harmful CO2 emissions, Kia’s latest GDI engines put the brand at the cutting edge of engine design and management by achieving 3 seemly incompatible goals: lower emissions while increasing power output and improving fuel economy.
In the US-market, Kia offers a wide range of highly-efficient engines, including four-cylinders, turbocharged engines, V6 and even V8 units.
All of them boast the automaker’s gasoline direct injection – GDI technology, while some of them also incorporate a turbocharger for increased power outputs.
Let’s take a look at the list of Kia GDI engines and their availability (the data here refer to the US and Canadian market):
1,6L GDI 4-cylinder engine
- The 1,6L GDI four-cylinder engine produces 138 horsepower and is available in Kia Rio 5-door hatchback and 4-door sedan, as well as under the hood of new Kia Soul crossover vehicle.
- The more potent 1,6L T-GDI turbo engine generates 201 horsepower and 195 lb.-ft. @ 1750-4500 rpm. It is available under the hood of the range-topping Forte Koup SX, Forte5 SX and Soul turbo models.
2,0L GDI 4-cylinder engine
- The 2,0L unit is available in the Forte sedan, Forte Koup and Forte5 hatchback models. The unit delivers 173 horsepower.
- The same 2,0L GDI powerplant is also available in the Soul CUV, but it is slightly less potent than in the Forte models. The Soul’s 2,0L unit generates 164 horsepower.
- Kia Sportage offers a turbo-charged 2,0L 4-cylinder engine that churns out impressive 245 horsepower and 269 lb.-ft!
- A turbocharged Optima sedan also boasts the 2,0L T-GDI turbo unit, which delivers 245 horsepower.
2,4L GDI 4-cylinder engine
- This engine is available under the hood of base Sportage model and generates 182 horsepower and 177 lb.-ft.
- A slightly more potent version of the 2,4L units can also be found in the entry-level Sorento crossover vehicle, which offers an optional AWD system. It produces 191 horsepower.
- The third Kia vehicle that comes standard with the 2,4L GDI unit is the hot-selling Optima mid-size sedan! The unit delivers 192 horsepower!
V6 GDI engines
- The 3,3L V6 GDI engine is fitted under the hood of Kia Cadenza premium sedan. The model features 293 horsepower and 255 lb. ft. @ 5200 rpm!
- The same highly-advanced powertrain is also on sale in the just-recently launched Sedona minivan where it packs 276 horsepower.
- There’s an even larger V6 engine available in the US-spec Kias and that includes the 3,8L V6 unit, which is available in the K900 luxury sedan. The unit packs no less than 311 horsepower!
Range-Topping V8 Engine
- This is the top of the iceberg in the automaker’s engine range and exclusive to the new K900 luxury sedan. This is a state-of-the-art engine that features gasoline direct injection technology and boasts 420 horsepower and 376 lb. ft. @ 5,000 rpm. It is mated to the 8-speed automatic transmission.