DAILY - UPDATED
Interview with Tom Kearns, Chief Designer of Kia Design Center America
Prior to joining Kia, Tom worked for GM, where he oversaw the design and development of the Cadillac CTS. When he joined Kia, he was hired as a chief designer. Since then, he created some of the best looking Kia concept cars including the original Soul concept, award winning KUE crossover and the stunning Kia KOUP concept.
Here are some key points out of the interview:
– Chiefs in Korea realize that design is one of the key components that Kia needs to become one of the leading automotive brands.
– At the moment, some Kia cars lack more personality.
– The future design will be more emotional.
– The Soul has a big fun factor to it and is something that’s different. Hopefully, it’s something that you look at and find desirable to own and drive.
– The KOUP TWOO-DOOR is designed to be a very affordable front-wheel-drive sporty coupe that could get a turbocharged four-cylinder engine.
Proceed here to read the interview.